Saturday, March 14, 2009

SPRING IS IN THE AIR

The fresh smell of spring is in the air and the snow is finally starting to melt away. Our back yard is alive with critters of every kind. In the past two days we have been visited by deer, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks and many different bird species. No robins yet, so I guess I can't officially claim spring is here. My kids are hoping winter will hold on for one more week so they can get that final sledding in during their spring break.

The snow is still pretty deep in much of the area, however; grass is pushing it's way to the surface around the bases of the trees, out in the fields and on the side hills that face the highway. Deer by the hundreds dot the fields, taking advantage of the fresh new food source. Motorists are driving much slower these days wary of the possibility of deer sprinting out infront of them.

I love the spring season, especially after a long, hard winter like the one we had this past year. Yard clean up is going to be huge though. The first two major snowstorms of the year took down trees and branches, and the wind blew stuff from one yard to the next. We've actually been surprised by what is peeking out of the snow as it melts away. The kids are anxious to hang up signs at the post office offering to spring clean yards. My husband and I thought it would be wise for them to practise cleaning up our yard first, but for some reason they didn't particularly like that idea. You could almost see the dollars signs shining in their eyes. Maybe if they get to drive the mini tractor that might change their minds. They are always asking if they are old enough to drive it yet.

2 comments:

  1. I like this picture..makes me think of home! I see them on my street sometimes but this looks natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on winter being tough. It seems here in Maine, we managed to finish cleaning up from one storm and another one rolls in. I love the picture of the deer. BTW, thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Just drop me a note.